With a cameo by Sweetie Pie, of course! And I believe this was our longest and most lively Food History Happy Hour yet!
2-3 ice cubes
unsweetened grapefruit juice
In an old fashioned glass, pour jigger of bourbon over ice. Fill with grapefruit juice and stir.
The REAL Story of Grape Nuts Ice Cream
Of course, in 1916, the Post company published, "Good Things to Eat From Wellville."
At any rate - it was a fun research project and I'm glad I was able to add to the historiography of Grape Nuts Ice Cream.
- The Food That Built America - History Channel, also available on Hulu and Amazon.
- Post v. California Fig Nut Company lawsuit (1921)
- Rommegrot Ice Cream
- "Celebrate the Heyday of Sweet American ‘Salads’ With These 7 Dishes" - Atlas Obscura
- "Three Squares: The Invention of the American Meal" by Abigail Carroll
- "The Georgian Feast" by Darra Goldstein
- My review of "Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking"
- "The Poison Squad" on PBS and "The Poison Squad: One Chemist's Single-Minded Crusade for Food Safety at the Turn of the Twentieth Century" by Deborah Blum
- "Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution" on PBS
- "Birth of a Movement" on PBS